Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Father's Love


As most people may already know, Richard and I took our vacation time and flew to Scotland for a retreat at a very special place called Blairmore House. It is located about 10 minutes outside of Huntly in a small community called Glass in the Highlands of Scotland. This time holds a very special place in my heart because it is here that I have felt so fully the Father's Love.

As humans, it is so hard to fathom what God is like ~ to actually feel his love and experience all that He has to offer. We tend to view God in relation to our earthly fathers. Some of us have had wonderful loving fathers and others have had painful experiences filled with fear and even hatred. If you were to imagine a type of loving father ~ one that would hold you and encourage you and spend quality time with you when you were little...now multiply that by 100 %, no actually 200%, I think even 300%...ok perhaps even an upteenth percentage and that is how much our Heavenly Father actually loves us. His love is one that asks us just to BE. I never realized this until my time in Scotland. I also had that feeling - no that push to strive, to do, to be a certain way and only then would I be "whole" enough or "clean" enough to be in His Holy prensence. Yet I always had this empty feeling inside ~ that no matter how hard I strived to be "the best" - by getting a degree - an honors degree no less... but this sits in a frame on my wall and it does nothing to FILL me. How awesome a revelation for me to realize that the Father just wants me to spend time with Him ~ it is not about reading 5 books of the bible a day or 100 devotions a week - it is about taking the time to say "Father, I love you and I want to spend time with you today, I am here just to listen to you and be open to your love". THAT IS ALL THAT IT TAKES.

His love is so grand that nothing you can do can take His love away. A very special man of God that I met in Scotland heard the Lord say to him one day ~ "I have not called you to do - But I have called you to be. It is out of being that you can then begin to do". And it is when we cease trying that we can begin trusting. Ahhhh....just resting in this truth begins to fill that empty part of me that was hopelessly trying to win the Father's love.

4 Comments:

At 8:14 PM , Blogger Quigley said...

Wow babes - that's so amazing, comforting and profound!! Truth really does set us free! So glad I was there to share it with ya.

Love ya!!!

 
At 2:52 AM , Blogger Delbert said...

"His love is one that asks us just to BE"

wow, i just love that. jesus is... err i mean, truth is so amazing isn't it?

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger Jaime said...

Hey Anna!

I was pretty jealous to hear you and Richard were in Scotland to be honest :)..........but I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time!

I can understand that whole idea of getting the Father's love for us in a new way. Just as His child to rest and be with Him and that's all. I have struggled through that journey of not having a father around and not experiencing that father love. It's been amazing walking through that and having His Amazing Fatherly love shown towards me these past few years!
:)

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger ~WandererShe~ said...

That's awesome annikins, thanks for sharing that, it's very encouraging and thought provoking. Glad to have you home!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home